First step was to complete pull apart the gimbal and its parts to try and figure out what was required to change its orientation.
After a bit of playing and experimentation the simplest way was to create a simple right angel out of alloy flat strip. I used the removed parts as templates for the screw holes. the biggest part os to make sure that with everything together that it was balanced in the pitch&roll axis, otherwise it wont work.
The below image shows the completed gimbal, next I made a simple right angle to mount the gimbal to the control board mounts.
Here its mounted to the quadcopter, with the low profile I can now mount it to any of my quads.
Here are the bits left over after the mod.
A small video if with channel 7&8 set to alter pitch and roll.