Thursday, August 14, 2014

OPQ Frame Acro quadcopter with 3D Printed parts

OPQ Arco frame

So many months ago I got a OPQ Acro frame but just never had the chance to get it flying as I was busy with the FLIP and the gimbal setup.

Now that is 95% sorted I wanted to return back to learning todo flips. The OPQ frame caught my eye as I liked the simple one piece design and hopefully the strength.

I have already covered the 3D printed protectors I made for the arms, since I fly over tarmac I wanted some skid protection.

Below is the final version to date, set up with a NAZE32 Acro board.

Since I like to have a low / thin profile quad copter the first thing I designed for the frame was a set of legs / battery holder combo to bolt to the bottom of the frame. I wanted to add some protection to the battery as I mentioned I fly a lot over tarmac and wanted to add some protection from ... hard "controlled" landings.

They are pretty simple braced plates with a cross member for the battery to velcro to. 

Fresh off the printer

Assembled ready to bolt to the frame 

Legs bolted to the frame. I drilled 3.5mm holes in the frame.

The first version was with a KK2 board and a HobbyKing 20amp Qbrain. The motors are Turnigy SK3 1275kv motors running 8x4.5 HK props. I had all of this lying around and was quick and easy to get up in the air. It flew really well. I was very pleased. However it was a little heavy due to the QBrain. 

So after some debate I stripped the 12amp Plush ESC I had in my non used HEX. Stripped 4 ESC back and set about using these as the power system. This decision was also pushed along since the long wait for the NAZE32 Acro was over as I had 2 arrive in the mail ..... Finally.

Yes I soldered on bullets as I know I will damage motors while learning to flip, and wanted to easily swap in the field.  I also designed and printed a simple ESC cover to protect the ESC's and made it easy to attach to the frame with zip-ties. 

Abusemark power distro board getting the some extra length for the power leads, at they were 2 short once I cut the ESC's out of the HEX

I drilled holes to allow bolting of the power disto board and the 3D printed NAZE32 case.

Test fitting the ESC & power distro.

The current final product. It weights in at 700g with the 2200 Turingy battery. Its a hoot to fly and I am now in the process of tuning the NAZE32 and getting the flight modes and PID settings sorted to go out and learn to do flips.

The arm protectors are doing there job well.